Friday, January 25, 2008

RSV

Respiratory Syncytial Virus, other wise known as RSV. Three little letters that can strike fear into a new moms heart. I'm incredibly thankful that so far this dreadful illness has not struck our household, but so many of my friends babies have it right now. One little girl was in the hospital for over a week, with a collapsed lung. Every time I check in with friends, it seems another one has got it. A friend with twins who were ten weeks premature has been advised to not take the babies out in public until APRIL when RSV season is over. Thankfully my little Mongo does not go to a public daycare, but stays with my parents while I am at work. But there are germs everywhere, and I work at a school. Every afternoon I get to my parents house and go strait to the bathroom to wash my hands. Mongo will often hear or see me come in, and start crying for me, but I never touch him before I wash. I really hope we can make it through winter with only a case of the sniffles. Poor babies, my heart goes out to them.

On a lighter note, we've been trying to start Mongo on solids for the past two weeks. We've tried rice cereal, applesauce, and avocados. The rice cereal he will tolerate. The apple sauce, he'll at least try to spit out. But last night, we tried avocados for the second time. I just mashed up a little bit of one with some breast milk. I got two spoonfuls into his mouth, he swallowed a tiny bit, then I hear the ominous sounds of heaving. Once, twice, then uggh, avocado and milk, all over the place. Thankfully I had him in one of those big plastic bibs, so none got on him, but some did make its way to the floor. Next stop, sweet potatoes!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Mia ended up getting RSV the bronchilitis version. She was pretty much DEAD! Then Damien caught it and since he's older his was Bronchitis. I had them both on a nebulizer it was awful! I hope he never catches it!